Our hospital’s history begins in 1946. In the general election that year, the residents of the county voted for $150,000 in bonds for a county hospital. This amount was not adequate, so a special election was held, and $50,000 in additional funding was approved by the voters. In 1948, $50,000 more was allocated to fund furnishings and equipment. In addition, the community rallied with fundraisers to continue to raise money for more necessary equipment.
The hospital has continued to grow since then. In February 2000, Virgil Cox—long-time Maintenance Director at Stevens County Hospital—led the groundbreaking ceremony for Project 2000, initiating a $4 million renovation. A state-of-the-art rural health clinic was the cornerstone of this project. The mechanical and electrical facilities were updated, and new patient rooms were added. Several departments were relocated and renovated, giving patients and visitors better access to the hospital’s many services.
With our strong staff, dedicated community and county, our hospital continues to flourish.